The Josie Baggley Company

Saturday 20 February 2010

Handmade & Handpainted Screen/Room Divider(Through The Looking Glass)














Here we have a handmade timber three door Screen or Room Divider & handpainted by yours truly! These screens are great for instant privacy by partitioning off part of a room eg a work station or when used for their original funtion ie to undress /dress behind...oooohlala !This one stands approx. 6ft. I've been working on this over the last couple of days. The carved head-scrolling looks very nice indeed. I thought I'd mess about with a Tenniel illustration (I had a three inch book picture to work from so although the detail is not exact & I've added my own detail here & there I think I've stuck to the style more or less..and I did use my magnifying glass lol .I DO really like this particular picture. It's a menacing scene suggesting all sorts of possibilities & I like the way Lion & Unicorn refer to Alice as 'monster'! I've also added genuine vintage French playing cards (about 80 years old) & an excerpt from an 1952 ED of Through The Looking Glass.It's been given a framing in gold leaf & freehand scrolling. All art work as is freehand as usual & signed. I've used acrylics and it's finished in a good coat of tough varnish so as it can be polished/wiped down and also to protest the artwork
For Sale on my website.( now SOLD)....order a similar piece, just email me for a quote!

24 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

Oh Rainey....this is enchanting! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

LuLu♥♦♥

MLBetterly said...

I think I'm in love, Rainey! It's completely fabulous! You and Jim make an awesome team. I am completely in love with this piece.

Fleur de Boheme said...

Rainey, it´s gorgeous!!! Quirky, magical and with a big hint of nostalgia - I adore it! You´re so talented and Jim is such a good carpenter (or is it cabinet maker?) You are the perfect match.

Oh, and Elmer is very decorative as always!

Off to your website!

Bye bye!

Big smile for you

mermaiden said...

i can imagine this in a child's bedroom, or a grown up child's bedroom- oh what adventures one could have!

Debby said...

WOW!!! This is amazing!!! Love it.
Debby

julietk said...

You have both done a terrific job
the theme goes so well on a screen too. If only I had room in my small london Flat.

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

WOW Rainey! This is incredible! You are such a fantastic painter!!!!
xoxo,
Kristin

Tami said...

So beautiful, Rainey!! You are amazing!
Hugs,
Tami

Caterina Giglio said...

oh my goddess!!! I love this!! it is gorgeous! and your doggie is so darling!

Jo Archer said...

Fantastic Rainey! The lion and the unicorn have such wonderful expressions. Clever old Jim too; you are a talented pair!

Unknown said...

This is simply FABULOUS, Rainey!!! I just LOOOOOVE it! What a fantastic team work! SUPER!
Lots of love, Sanda xx

Nancy said...

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog...I'm so glad I found your delightful little corner of blogworld! What an inspiring project!! I have my own resident cabinet maker, if only I could paint like that, your talent is amazing!
blessings to you,
nancy

harem6 said...

We've been here once before,but had to come back and explore as your blog amazing,so full of things waiting to be discovered...

Plumrose Lane said...

Gorgeous job Rainey, wow! I'd love to own one of these beauties!
♥Sharon

Anonymous said...

wowz, lady, this is just gorgeous!! i am in love!!! if you were my neighbor and it wouldn't cost a billion bucks to ship, i would snatch it up instantly (if you haven't sold it already). it is just wonderful!!! what a great creative team you two are!! i must look into getting my husby into carpentry. :)

oh, and i've sent you a few emails -- have you received them? i got your wonderful big box of goodies on monday and was blissfully delighted! you should get my parcels by saturday at the latest i think. many hugs and lots of love!!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Oh, this is all lovely, this isall brilliant, I'm lovin ll this,I'm glad you dropped by me blog. You gotta meet my other friend ArtSparker. She loves Alice in Wonderland! http://artsparktheatre.blogspot.com/

* said...

Beautiful work, beautiful blog. Your artistry is fabulous!

thehauntedstudiounderthestairs said...

Dear Eyelash Personage-

What a wondferul wee Beegle beastie,
a bit despondant he do lookie

Beastly yers,

k!

Rainey J. Dillon said...

Beastly!
yer wafflin' to mey! i tot you wur leavin me to the herb eatin'nasties!
Mey beaglie is a drugged basted- hound, chappynoodle!
mey eyelashes were washed in fairydishesliquid and the bubbles ar bleedin'blindin me when iys blinks!

In the Light of the Moon said...

wow Rainey..this is really amazing!!!Totally unique and COOOOL!!Warmest Regards,Cat

Juliette Crane said...

oh, my! so beautiful. it's seems everywhere i look there's alice art. i feel like it's inspiring me to do some new illustrations. thank you for posting these photos!
xo, juliette

Flor Larios Art said...

Fantastic!

Jeanie said...

This is totally rocking my world! It is wonderful and you two are an amazing team!

Johanna Spinks said...

YOu should ship it over here. Right now...